RKI provides a variety of services with regards to a contractor’s cost estimating practices including:
- Design of a compliant DFARS Estimating System including policies, procedures, standardized forms, and training
- Evaluation of a contractor’s Estimating business system for compliance
- Remediation and/or corrective action of deficiencies resulting from DCAA or internal management findings
- Preparation of cost proposals in accordance with DFARS Estimating System requirements
- Other services related to best practice estimating in U.S. Government contracting
While formally defined at DFARS 252.215-7002 (Cost Estimating System Requirements), its intention is provide consistent and reliable cost estimating practices for preparation and negotiation of fair and reasonable prices with the U.S. Government. It focuses primarily on those proposals subject to certified cost or pricing (e.g, Truthful Cost or Pricing, Truth in Negotiations, TINA). The DFARS Estimating business system clause provides the applicable criteria to which a U.S. Government contractor is held during a Estimating System review.
Yes, if you have contracts subject to certified cost or pricing. While DFARS provisions are specific to DoD contractors, DCAA and other U.S. Government audit interests have designed their audit programs around the DFARS criteria. As a result, even if you’re not “required” to comply with the DFARS Estimating business system criteria, they are the criteria to which you would be held under most U.S. Government audits on cost proposals and estimating system reviews.